Electron Beam (EB)
Principle of Electron Beam (EB) Accelerator
EB is the one of energy source group which is called ionisation. Some of them :
– Electron accelerators (E Beam),
– Electron accelerators with high energy (X Rays),
– Gamma Rays (Produced by Radioisotope).
Ionisation consists of adding or removing ionised particles (electrons).
– When 2 atoms are close to each other, they transfer or share electrons like a formation of new molecule
– Ionisation is a chemical process and not radioactive
Emission of electrons is realised by heating of cathode in an empty room.
Electrons are accelerated with high density between 80 to 300kw before pass through by titanium paper which is called ‘‘emission window’’ roled to seperate radiation room and empty room.
Empty and radiation rooms are double mobed by stainless steel which contains lead to reduce radiation to the minimum level at the outside.
Advantages of Electron Beam
EB allows to polymerisation and molecular modification in the paint and adhesive sectors :
– It is not heating to avoid high temperature problems and reduces cost of cooling,
– With solid products, so not with solvents and photoinitiators,
– Considerably decraeses energy consumption,
– When pile is minimum at the instant
– Improves brightness, abration resistance, adhesion to the substrate…
EB has decontamination role in the Food Industry. Here electrons are breaking the DNA of interference cells as bacteria, considerably increases conservation time of radiative products.